Walking on Water
Jesus Christo!! we exclaim in unison, bursting into laughter as the slender lizard rips across the surface of the water, sending ever expanding rings headlong away from our alarming presence. Lagartija Jesus Christo is the latin name of this buoyant creature, but a bit less fun to yell out whenever we see one.
The days have begun to blur with amazing experiences- tagging turtles, some of which are over 100 years old. It's an amazing design that's been around 20 times longer than our own. Most of the turtles we track and tag are Olive Ridleys but I'm dying to see a leatherback. The world's largest turtle and reptile for that matter, sometimes over 2000lbs- the bulk of which comes from the aqueous jellyfish. Here's hoping...
I've seen howler/spider/squirrel and capuchin monkeys. The spiders we've affectionately dubbed the "A-Holes" for their propensity to hurl branches and misc. fluids down from the canopy. Wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't so hell-bent on catching them with my camera.
The Howlers continue to wake me up with some regularity. It's like having someone wake you up in the middle of the night with a kiss to remind you of how lucky you are. The sound is somewhere between the howl of a coyote and the monstrous bang of nearby construction. Cool.
My partner in crime Liam and I have harvested a decent quantity of Cocao and are beginning the arduous task of turning grape-like beans into chocolate. No oven, or reliable heatsource- very little sun and ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE DOING might dictate a trip to town for some of the storebought variety...
Another 30+ Km day yesterday. 90% of which was through soft sand. Whales and waterfalls, coconuts and tidepools, and two exceedingly talkative feet. Probly gonna need to be a lazy day today...
Rain is falling now, swelling the streams and drumming on the tin roof. I'm warm and dry in a tattered pair of blue jeans, curled up in the hammock- better to write in my journal and not waste precious internet time. I haven't shaved my face since late last month and the softness of a beard is so alien to my corporate self. We pulled out the clippers a few days ago and are sporting some new 'do's. I've opted for the familiar mohawk whereas Liam went for lightning bolts. Fashion is obviously paramount here.
The Costa Rican coinage is very heavy and is in absurdly large amounts (5,000, 10,000 etc.) and makes for great poker chips so I've managed to pawn off another of my bad habits to the unsuspecting volunteers. There are seven of us here at the moment+ the tico employees and life is truly good.
Hasta luego!


2 Comments:
Ah Mimmy, my heart is full to read your beautiful blog, and know you are having such a fulfilling time. I hope you will save a photo of you with the mohawk and fluffy beard for your mom to see some day! Even if it's not for general publication...
1:32 PM
Jimmer, I echo what Peggy said about having a fulfilling time!
Can't wait to see you - exactly 30 days from today!
Dad
6:19 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home