You have but one opportunity. Life passes whether you have an active part in it or not. Only one chance at this whole being-alive thing. You should probably enjoy this one. Thanks to all that take the time to visit the site. I truly hope that I am as able to update this as I would like. Thanks foremost for your patience.

Monday, January 05, 2009

Smooth Sailing


So today is the 5th day of this New Year, and things couldn’t have started off on a better note. I have so much love in my heart for my friends and family, and the job has pushed me and encouraged me to grow in many ways. I am beginning to realize that this was the time in life that I’ve spent decades fantasizing about- time for personal growth without limits, where the only boundaries are my own. I’m realizing that the onset of economic turmoil could have chosen a better tee-off time, but it’s something we’re all learning to cope with in our own way. I’ve been riding my bike too and from work with increasing ease, running with some regularity and swimming nearly every day. My girlfriend is wonderful, constantly surprising and inspiring me and I look forward to a February visit more and more every day.
As an employee of the Ritz, I’m entitled to use of the staff cafeteria- minimizing grocery shopping and freeing up cooking time for other endeavors. I’ve also had the opportunity to do a few things that I hadn’t before I left. Things like day trips and night dives on the Atlantis sub, whole days of kayaking in the serene mangroves and full use of the 30’ climbing wall.
My new apartment is in West Bay not far from the last two. The big difference in this one is that it’s on the water! Such a nice thing to wake up to, spend the day with and savor as the sun sets over my hammock. We’ll see in the months to come if it’s financially feasible to maintain…


One other prime benefit is the access to the ocean. Yesterday we spent a little over two hours in the water, snorkeling (angelfish galore, hawksbill turtles, curious barracuda and a massive nurse shark) then gathered a couple of conch shells for fritters and a fantastic lobster that reddened on the grill as the sun set behind it. Mmmm. The lobster was snared by the latest invention: about 3’ of ¾” pvc, a 10’ loop of lawn mower line and a plumbing joint for a handle. We made 3 and have made great use of them thus far. The last lobster was about 25-30 feet down and required a little finagling but was needless to say well worth it.
I saw something quite cool yesterday. I noticed that a heron had taken a perch on one of the rocky outcroppings near the shore. As I inched closer for a photo I realized that the bird had caught a blue tang about he size of it’s own head. After a little coercion the fish slid down its throat and it was back to business. But not before it gave me a little pose silhouetted by the sunset. Then I leapt up from the rocks to run to the kitchen and find one of the dinner sides completely blackened…perhaps it’s a good thing that the Ritz does a lot of my cooking for me these days. Who knows how much time I spent admiring that beautiful creature. Haha.
Well that’s about all I’ve got for now.

2009 had big shoes to fill to one-up its predecessor. Here’s hoping my new resolution holds fast.
Much love,
Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home