You have but one opportunity. Life passes whether you have an active part in it or not. Only one chance at this whole being-alive thing. You should probably enjoy this one. Thanks to all that take the time to visit the site. I truly hope that I am as able to update this as I would like. Thanks foremost for your patience.

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Eight Degrees of Separation



So here I sit, a little over eight degrees north of our blue planet's waistline- viewing the tornado of images in my mind after the last 72 hours in Costa Rica. It´s becoming increasingly difficult to characterize each place I write about as 'amazing' and 'awe inspiring' because you can only hear that repeated so many times before you start to question whether I'd say it about anything. So I'll use a different tactic. When I walked onto the beach here, I almost puked. The stones on the beach pursed around the sides of my feet, anchoring me for a sunset rainstorm over an old growth rainforest shrouded in mist. Squirrel monkeys cackled in chorus with the crashing waves and for the first time in years, I was too drawn to the scene to weild the camera typically stuck to my face. Needless to say I was floored.
Since then I've released several hatchling Olive Ridley turtles, one of wich I pulled from the claws of a snarling crab (well it would have been snarling if it had the capacity to do so...) photographed toucans and macaws and woken to bellowing and roaring howler monkeys.
Somehow I managed to leave my ten year old sketchbook on the bus to Puerto Jiminez, a mistake I'll bemoan for some time. Someone I've never known now has a bit of an insight into my soul, not to mention dozens of my favorite drawings. The food is warm and filling, diverse and astonishingly tasty. The bed is soft and dry, draped with the comforting enclosure of a mosquito net. I only share to research lab with a handfull of other people, all of which seem to come across smiles as quickly as I do. I took a bit of a tumble today trying to clear a fallen tree on the trail, opening my shorts to the skin and giving my acomplices a comical view of my derrière (lending itself to the aforementioned smiles). Other than the damaged ego and rosy bum I´m A-Ok. We spent hours in the surf yesterday, the monstrous waves and undercurrent bowling us end over end, reminding us ever so effectively the challenges facing these embattled brave creatures.
That´s about all I´ve got time for.
Adios amigos!

4 Comments:

Blogger Peggy Ward said...

Amazing commentary and photos so far, and you've just gotten there! So great to talk with you just now...and I grieve the loss of your sketchbook almost as much as you do! Sad...

2:43 PM

 
Blogger The Travelerette said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:51 AM

 
Blogger The Travelerette said...

Incredible, Jim. Your passion for and pursuit of your dreams inspire me. Miss you and am excited to follow you on this adventure. xo Jenn Hartzler

1:52 AM

 
Blogger Ward's Wanderings said...

I'm trying to work out the logistics for a visit... Hope for an airfare war or I'll be looking for monkeys while hiking in the Ozarks of Arkansas! Dad

6:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home