Still in Hot Water
Ok, so I’ve lived in this amazing place for a while now, unfortunately my sense of humor hasn’t improved. Ranomafana is “Hot” –mafana “water” –rano. Life is slowing down quickly, researchers disappearing like fog. As of Monday I will be one of the only remaining non-ValBio employees. It only leaves me a week or so but it will be a welcome excuse to spend all of my time in the forest. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous, reminiscent of the Virgin Islands: 80 and sunny in the daytime, cool and starry at night. It makes life so easy. I received two packages over the course of the last month. Some very considerate and heartfelt gifts, I was and still am incredibly grateful.
It’s a weird sensation to be so close to home, coming back that is…I am excited about my first stateside Christmas/New Years in quite a while, but am morbidly afraid of the cold. I leave Ranomafana on Sunday Dec. 2, then fly out of Tana on the morning of the 5th, putting me back at JFK that evening. I’m planning on spending a couple days in Allentown PA before heading to St. Augustine. I should be in the Memphis area for a little while after Dec. 21st and then who knows…
Our research was finished last night, giving me a chance to wish a few of our “regulars” farewell. I have an invitation to return in the spring but I don’t think that I can accept. I feel that more forward progress is necessary from this point on, time to figure everything out. The food has been great now that study abroad left, apparently cooking for a couple people is easier than feeding a herd. It is also lychee and mango season…I’m like a little kid in the candy shop. I walk back from market like a chipmunk, cheeks all poked out. Pictures are still pouring in, I have developed a borderline obsession. I carry my camera with me whenever I can. When you can’t flip on the TV and catch some gross-out humor, you have to look for it in other places. Here is a familiar sight from the Ward House: This is a Milne-Edwards Sifaka pictured here
Picking his nose
And inspecting the aftermath
Ok, you don’t need to say it, it’s about time to come home. Anyways I may not be able to post again until I return to US terra firma so sit tight, I’ll post gain asap. Veloma,
Voneo Malaki
“speedy coconut”


1 Comments:
Hey Jim! Two packages (so far) waiting for you here, too - can't wait for your first phone call! Certainly can't wait to see all the pix...I can't even imagine! And hear all about your decision making process for the future. xox mom
5:05 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home