Look who found his way to the far flung corners of our universe...
Hello family, friends, and anyone unfortunate to have stumbled onto what may prove to be a rather entertaining blog of one hell of a cool place. I am in Antananarivo (Tana) in central Madagascar, trying desperately to experience this wonderful area before I move on. 7 hours ahead of Eastern I am a bit jetlagged, sunburned, wired and tired but as excited as I have ever been to explore an incredible place. The handfull of pictures I have taken in the last two days put all of my others to shame, and I will fight to get some posted as soon as I can.
The smell of smoke hangs in the air, interspersed with fragrant vanilla bushells and the scent of life. This is winter here, and it seems brutally cold at night. Now my definition may be a bit skewed...55 at night but I am savoring my 20deg. mummy bag. There are a few TA's from the University here that will be accompanying us to Ranamafan. and I am quite sure that I have already made lifelong friends. Vaza! They yell at us from the streets and run to talk with us. I was mobbed by about 30 eight year old boys when I asked them "Afaka maka gari asafati?" (May I make your picture please?) and suddenly I was underneath them, each fighting their way to the 3" LCD. HAHA. My nickname in Malagasi means coconut...go figure. Anyways I miss you all and love you very much. Can't wait to post pics and hear from each of you.
I changed my primary email to alleviate jimlax9er confusion: get this, emailjimward@gmail.com. Couldn't be easier right. Send me an email and let me hear from you. I would love to read it when I emerge from the bush. Love from the big red rock.
Jim


5 Comments:
Jim!!! somehow I knew I would hear from you today!!!...I'm soo excited your on the other side of the world...learning, observing, being your wonderful you in a magical place that's adding thousands of new things to make you a better person!!!..can't wait to see your pics ;)...miss ya!
g.
3:01 PM
Hey Mimmy! So glad to know you are there, happy and well. I am imagining like mad, and just so glad your first reaction to "the big red rock" was so positive.
Praying all the time....will look forward to all the pix and posts...xoxoxox moom
8:37 AM
Moom? well, I meant...mom
8:37 AM
Jim: Looking forward to reading about your adventures. I will pray lots for you -- to keep you safe and to see God in all this beauty. Love and kisses, Auntie Ellen and Peanut Frannie (and Gatorboy too)
9:14 AM
Jim, like I said before, no crazy goat accidents, much love, and lots of prayers about food and bugs LOL. I'm going to miss ya- i'll eat some rice for ya at thanksgiving!
7:34 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home